Friday, January 2, 2015

Life is a Role Playing Game.

“Where you stumble and fall, there you will find gold.”
- Joseph Campbell

Today's goal was to reorganize and redistribute my HabitRPG habits, tasks, and dailies so they are in-line with how I want to move forward over the next year and my lists aren't cluttered up with things I don't really care about so much at the moment. HabitRPG is something I've talked about here in the past. If you're not familiar, it's a website for tracking habits you wish to encourage or curb and tasks and goals you'd like to achieve daily, scheduled, or just eventually. It's structured in the style of an old school 8-bit RPG. Because I grew up with a controller in my hand, the most motivating thing in the world to me is collecting fake gold coins (or stars or rings or anything that makes a chingy sound and adds a number to a score of some sort) so this format works for me on a level that other sites I've tried simply haven't. I used another site for a long time, but earning coins and leveling up just triggers my pleasure center is a much more useful way so this is the only site I turn to, now, to keep me on track.

It's extremely useful but as a game, I'm not very good at it. I had to leave the party I was in because I died too much and the other people in the party were being punished for it. I'm very serious about using this as a tool to keep myself on track and in line so I can't always focus on making sure I'm not letting my dailies hit me and drain my health. In fact, I need them to hit me. I need to be penalized for missing them so that I'm inspired to work a little harder to get those coins or I feel the hit when I die. And, oh, do I feel it. Sometimes, I die a lot. Sometimes, I manage this by checking myself at the inn when I know I won't have time to get things done that will ding me if I don't do them. Sometimes, I forget to rest in the in when I should and I die. Sometimes, I forget to log in and check off my dailies before the site rolls over and I die even when I shouldn't. This happens less because I have my rollover set to 6AM so I have a chance to remember to do it when I wake up when the spouse goes to work at 4AM. Sometimes, though, I forget that, too. The highest level I can remember being is 36, and I'm not even entirely sure I'm right about that. Right now I'm level 33. The penalty for death is losing a level, all your gold, and a piece of equipment you've spent your coins on. Sometimes... I die. And that's ok. It's useful. Dying is useful. There is probably something profound about that. Maybe.

Mission accomplished for the day. Achievement Unlocked: Day Two, Check! I think the thing I actually miss about having gifted away my XBox 360 and only having Sony consoles in the house now is Achievements. Trophies just aren't he same. If I check off just a few more things today I'll level up and the spouse is down with his dad and brother at the cabin for a day or two, so I should have plenty of time to do it. Awesome. Gotta keep reaching for that last piece of the Triforce. (That's assuming I have two already, which might be a stretch.)



 (I don't know who made the Triforce. If you do, let me know and I'll gladly credit it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment