Saturday, January 3, 2015

Live from the Internet

I don't know what I would do without podcasts. I don't know how I ever got anything done before I discovered them. The Nerdist Channel is the reason my kitchen ever gets cleaned once it's fallen over the edge into the land of the lost (as it does more often than I at all comfortable with.) Today's aspiration was to bring it back from the abyss and thanks to Rob Paulsen and Chris Hardwick (among others) that has been achieved.

The Nerdist Podcast is what introduced me to the world of interview style podcasts (and podcasting in general) and it is still my go to for noise in my ears when I need to actually be accomplishing something physical (I can't write with anything I have to actively listen to so the 8 hours of channel on YouTube is my go to when I'm writing because it's background noise. 8 hours of City Sounds and a Sleeping Bunny is the best thing that's ever happened to me but that's for another post.) The soothing voice of my long time nerd-crush Chris Hardwick in my ears when I'm trying to slog through a mindless and not entirely pleasant task is good in itself, but what makes it a truly noteworthy experience each and every time is hearing the guests that he has talk about things ranging from the hilarious to the profound. Chris is a naturally curious, humble, and genuinely awe-struck individual when it comes to these people and he also comes from a place where he is looking for answers in his own life and is always interested in whatever tidbits of insight he can glean from his guests. He has a way of making people feel comfortable and probing their brains in such a genuinely curious and at the same time fun and open manner that, I think, it enables him to access parts of people that we don't ordinarily get to see. I started listening to his channel because I think he's cute and funny and I kept listening because he has a great interview style that just really delivers wonderful content consistantly. I have never been disappointed and almost always walk away with a deeper understanding of people I admire and also myself. It's like that.

I discovered Rob Paulsen has a podcast via John DiMaggio's wonderful documentary about voice actors titled "I Know That Voice." If you don't know who John DiMaggio is it's not that you have never heard any of his work, it's that you just don't know the name behind the voice. I've never been a rabid Futurama fan and I think Bender is more obnoxious than funny but I'm a fan of a lot of his other work and I'm always picking him out in things, but I am truly digressing. He's hilarious. We'll leave it there for now. I learned Rob Paulsen (Yakko, Pinky, originally Raphael and now Donatello --the list goes on ad nauseum) has a podcast via DiMaggio's documentary so I looked it up the other day and listened to an episode. It's called Talkin' Toons with Rob Paulsen and I recommend it to anyone who loves animation and or voice acting or just nostalgia with the caveat it can get, not surprisingly, pretty dirty pretty quick, but that's true with Chris' show sometimes, too. Anyway, I noticed that he had Chris on the show at one point, so when I woke up this morning I looked up that one and that led me down a rabbit hole of hilarity that I have yet to crawl out of even now (my iphone is paused so I can write this.)


My playlist for the day went as follows:

  • Episode 102: Chris Hardwick on Talkin' Toons

    On this episode of Rob's show they mention an old episode of Chris' show featuring Rob and his cohort in crime Maurice Lamarche (aka the Brain) that sounded like a must hear. When this episode ended I immediately scrolled down a few years in the Nerdist feed to find that one.
  • Episode 187: Nerdist Podcast w/ Rob Paulsen and Maurice Marche

    Hilarious as promised. Filthy in parts, but those were some of the funniest. I mean what adult doesn't love their favourite childhood toons getting a little filthy? So funny. At this point I took a break from voice actors because I had scrolled past one of my favourite people and had to go back and listen to it.
     
  • Episode 212: Nerdist Podcast w/ Brent Spiner

    Completely off topic, I know, but I can't recommend it enough. I might be biased because Brent Spiner is one of my favourite people on the planet every time I hear him or see him talking to someone in any media outlet whatsoever. His brand of humour is just gold to me for reasons I can't entirely explain. After I listened to this, I recalled Chris mentioning in his talk with Rob that he'd had John DeMaggio and Billy West on together at one point. Like I said, I'm not a huge Furtuama fan, but that's not the only time these two have worked together and they are both just really funny guys, so that's where I am now.
     
  • Episode 226: Nerdist Podcast w/ Billy West and John DiMaggio

    I only paused this because I wanted to get this post out before it got much later and I have no idea how much deeper this rabbit hole might go...


So... that's my day. I got the dishes done and the surfaces cleaned and some laundry squared away and I'm good with that. I crocheted some in between. I finished the Tunisian Goblin Stitch dishcloth I started yesterday and then used another scrap of cotton to improvise a little scrubby to slip over the ends of my fingers. I love just messing around with bits of cotton yarn and making new things to use in the kitchen or the bathroom or wherever. I'm the same way when I'm making amigurumi sometimes. I like to just play around and build things with yarn. I think that's one reason I like crochet so much more than knitting. It's a lot easier for me to improvise. ANYWAY... That's been my day. These are the things that have gotten me through and I just thought I'd share them with you. I leave you with a chubby bunny sleeping on a balcony in the city. It's not for another post, after all. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment