Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Sifting Static

It's been a while since I've written here and that last entry isn't one I'm particularly proud of, anyway. I just couldn't get it right but I published it anyway and now it's just an eyesore to me. To be honest, though, I haven't been thinking about that and that's not what's kept me from writing here. I've had a lot of static in my life and in my mind and I've been busy trying to sift through that and really just survive. I don't know if it's hormones or stomach fauna or what exactly is causing this constant feeling of chaos in my mind, but it's directly affecting every part of my life. I don't even know any more if it's because of my life or the other way around. I am trying to sort things out, though. It's a process. I'm working on it.

One good thing I want to post about is freerice.org. I used the site years ago (many many years ago) and have rediscovered it through HabitRPG (which I am still using and really enjoying --it's making a real difference in my productivity each day.) There is a Challenge there to earn 1000 grains of rice a day and bonus points for every 1000 you go over. I don't know how much real world good the site does, but it's been around for a long time, so I think if it was bogus it would be gone by now. It's felt really nice the past couple days to go there and learn something while doing a little good, even if it's not all that much in the scheme of things. I've been using the German category and really enjoying it. I've always wanted to learn German and have poked around with the idea here and there, but never stuck with it. I'm surprised how well I seem to be able to pick up on what words mean. Today I got up to level 9 of 10 and its only my second day using the site. I didn't stay there long, but I never fall back down past four and generally recovered to around 6 quickly. I know it's not really going to teach me German in any overly useful way, but it's a nice little brain exercise and I'm really enjoying it. It may inspire me to pursue that task in the future in earnest.

I've started a morning candle/meditation regime, too, that I'm going to do for the next 16 days. I might make a broader habit of it after that. It has me getting up with the sun (literally at Sunrise) every day and that's something that should be a positive, too. I get up with the sun when my tablet chimes at me, light the candle on my dresser, loosely meditate and just Be for 19 minutes until my tablet makes a lovely little bird song melody, then I put out the candle and start my day. I am very optimistic about the value of this habit.

So, that's basically where I am right now. I feel better having written out the good things I'm doing with my days and my life and my progress and that's helped clear up some of the static. Now to gather up documents so I can have the taxes out by the end of the week (Mercury is Retrograde so I'm taking my time to make sure things are done correctly and nothing is lost.) Fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment