Saturday, January 18, 2014

Read More

One of my goals this year is to finish books. I'm notoriously bad for taking, I'll be perfectly honest, years to finish one book --even if I like it. Hell, even if I love it can take me months. That's gotten a lot better since acquiring a digital reading device (first a Kindle Fire and now a Paperwhite.) This is because books don't intimidate me as much if I don't have to look at all those pages left to go. I know it's a strange way to be for someone who LOVES stories. You're not telling me anything I haven't already pondered ad nauseum. It makes no sense. I make no sense.

But... I finished a book today. Here's my review:

Medium Raw: A Bloody Valentine to the World of Food and the People Who CookMedium Raw: A Bloody Valentine to the World of Food and the People Who Cook by Anthony Bourdain
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Meh. I wish I had more to say about this book. I really enjoyed Kitchen Confidential and I love what the author does on television with food tourism. I think his worldview is unique and not unimportant. This book, however, was not the best thing he's written. There were bits I enjoyed, but I found myself reading to finish it more than to enjoy it more than I cared for through one chapter then another. I may have gotten more out of it if I was well versed with the names he was dropping, but I'm not a gourmand and I doubt I'll ever get to step foot in most of the restaurants he talks about. I enjoy reading about them, regardless, but it would mean more to me if the names meant more to me because it was the names and what they mean to /him/ that he was focused on. I'm not going to "never read another of his books again," but I hope my next choice lives up to my expectations better than this one did. I think I'll go back and read a Chef's Tour. I think that might have more of what I'm looking for from one of my favourite voices.

Curious about what I've had to stay about other books I've actually finished (and reviewed?)
View all my reviews

I'm going to make this a thing. Expect reviews to pop up as I finish things. *thumbs up*

**Next up in the Non-Fiction category is Chris Hadfield's book. I have a whole blog post I've been working on about him, too. Maybe if I finish it before the end of time I'll just post the review with it, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment